The day after the Annual Research Seminar closed, I awoke at dawn to find myself covered in goosebumps. The monsoon season ended as suddenly as it began and we are now entering an Indian Fall.
Instead of waking sweaty and stuffy, I now feel the crispness of morning fog rolling in through my window. There is a lake below and beyond my room and now that the mornings are fresh, I often greet the sun watching cormorants and kingfishers sweep the glassy surface for their morning feast of water skeeters and dragonflies. The days continue to be hot, but as the sun sinks low in the sky I give thanks for the coolness of the changing season, which offers relief from the sweltering heat and pouring rain that made Dehradun a sauna during the monsoon.
Transition is in the air. I have only one more month at the Wildlife Institute of India and I am rushing to finish the list of objectives I made for myself seven months ago. I am mid-way through completing a report for WII on my study, and once that is done I will hopefully write a popular article for the public about my field experiences.
My graduate school applications are also under way. I will be applying to nine schools throughout the US. Transcripts, GRE score reports, letters of recommendation, statements of purpose...I had forgotten how time consuming applications can be, and so I am juggling multiple responsibilities while struggling to stay present and make the most of my last few weeks in India.
Finally, I was just offered a job to work as a research assistant at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum with a senior researcher who studies squirrels, so it appears as though I will be heading back to Washington, D.C. after the holidays. I will be searching for an apartment, and if you or anyone you know is seeking an apartment-mate in the central DC area beginning in January, please contact me.
What a wild world we live in! On my graduation day from CMC, I never would have predicted I'd have seen and done all that I have over this past year, and it seems as though the universe is continuing to smile down and take me forward. May we all feel this alive and remember to recall these fruitful moments throughout the seasons of our lives.
Wednesday, September 24
Change is in the air
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Previous Posts
- Nov 27 (1)
- Oct 31 (1)
- Oct 18 (1)
- Oct 04 (1)
- Sep 24 (1)
- Sep 19 (1)
- Sep 06 (1)
- Sep 03 (1)
- Aug 31 (1)
- Jul 28 (1)
- Jul 15 (1)
- Jul 08 (1)
- Jun 26 (1)
- Jun 13 (1)
- Jun 04 (8)
- Jun 01 (1)
- May 05 (1)
- Mar 24 (1)
- Mar 23 (2)
- Mar 13 (5)
- Mar 09 (1)
- Mar 03 (2)
- Feb 29 (1)
- Feb 28 (1)
- Feb 26 (1)
- Feb 25 (1)
- Feb 24 (1)
- Feb 22 (2)
- Feb 17 (1)
- Jan 17 (1)
1 comment:
Yay, you'll be returning to the DC area! I'll probably be moving back to Northern VA once I graduate but in the meantime I'm home a lot on weekends to visit so we should definitely hang out! Enjoy your last few weeks at WII!
Post a Comment