Saturday, October 18

Mumbai Maddness

I just returned from an incredible trip to Mumbai. Here are a few highlights:

I first took a 4 hour bus from Dehradun to Chandigarh, where Rohini and I met up with her parents. After much debate, Toby (the dog) end up staying at home (thank god):


Our roadtrip began with an 11-hour drive through Haryana to Jaipur, Rajasthan. The next morning we attempted to visit a mosque before our next drive, but accidentally timed our visit when prayer was just letting out. After getting thoroughly shoved and pushed as we tried to get into the mosque, we abandoned our attempt and escaped back into our car, but not before purchasing some stylish headscarves:


Before arriving at Udaipur, Rajasthan, we visited a breathtaking fort in Chittorgarh:


After we stayed the next night in Ahmadabad, Gujarat, our trusty 1982 Mercedes started moaning, so we pulled over to a mechanic for an hour. Thankfully, we were able to make it to Mumbai with little hassle besides 5 hours without AC (which gave me a nasty wave of heat stroke for the following 2 days).


The wedding was very memorable: prayers, glittering fabrics, dancing, booze, intense heat and delicious food. Rohini and I collapsed from exhaustion after the ceremony.


The following day I took a one-hour taxi to meet Sahas in his home in suburban Mumbai. We spent the day eating his mother's delicious food (I was finally able to observe and write down how to make some Indian dishes!) and lounging in the cool of his home. His sweet mother, Swati, showed me her dozens of colorful saris and matching jewelry, along with Sahas' brother's wedding photos. I felt like I was part of the family.


The next day we hit Mumbai via the local train. The crowd on the train was so dense that I couldn't even lift my arm to answer my phone when it rang. The station itself was a sea of people. We met up with 4 of Sahas' friends and they showed me the downtown of Mumbai.


Next day we hiked with a few of his friends to Karnala fort, from which we could see a stunning sight of the northern ridge of the Western Ghats.


The fort from the start of our hike, 1,000 feet below:



Sahas and I dying of heat despite the awe-inspiring view of the Western Ghats.




Our trip finished with an overnight train back to Delhi, a 7 hour train to Dehradun and an autorickshaw ride back to the Wildlife Institute. Overall, I thought the ocean, mangroves and old British buildings made Mumbai a beautiful and vibrant city and I hope to visit again in the future.

1 comment:

muSic said...

:) hello from sunny Portugal!!
Nice blog and nice pics u have here!! Congratulations!!
<:-D
Hugzzzzzzzzzz,Manu

Previous Posts