Yesterday was Holi, the festival of colors. Learn more about the mythology behind the festival by clicking here.
I had no idea what to expect on Holi, so I threw on some old clothes and headed to the mess for a late breakfast. As I left the mess hall, a group of 7 male students arrived and coated me, as well as several other students, with powder. Each said "Happy Holi!" and then smeared color on my face and shoulders. We then headed over to the faculty housing area, and proceeded to go from house to house, greeting and coloring each faculty member. A few sweet custom that reminded me of trick-or-treating: knock on the door, say "Happy Holi!", powder the person, then accept sweets and salty snacks from the house.
The gang of guys I walked around with:
Umesh, who shares my office with me:
As we entered the center of the faculty residence area, utter chaos occurred. About 10 children ran around with buckets of water and squirt guns and doused the students and I in colored water (thankfully it was already 80 degrees outside, so the water felt pleasant). People (including faculty!) ran around, throwing powder and water, and offering sweets to one another on silver platters. Hugs were exchanged and people were laughing, dancing and singing in groups.
Myself with several faculty members:
I deeply admire the Indian ability to let loose and celebrate. All hierarchy of student versus faculty was forgotten, and people seemed to shower each other with genuine appreciation and admiration. Holi is now my official favorite holiday, and I hope to bring back the custom to the US when I return.
Sunday, March 23
Happy Holi!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Previous Posts
- Nov 27 (1)
- Oct 31 (1)
- Oct 18 (1)
- Oct 04 (1)
- Sep 24 (1)
- Sep 19 (1)
- Sep 06 (1)
- Sep 03 (1)
- Aug 31 (1)
- Jul 28 (1)
- Jul 15 (1)
- Jul 08 (1)
- Jun 26 (1)
- Jun 13 (1)
- Jun 04 (8)
- Jun 01 (1)
- May 05 (1)
- Mar 24 (1)
- Mar 23 (2)
- Mar 13 (5)
- Mar 09 (1)
- Mar 03 (2)
- Feb 29 (1)
- Feb 28 (1)
- Feb 26 (1)
- Feb 25 (1)
- Feb 24 (1)
- Feb 22 (2)
- Feb 17 (1)
- Jan 17 (1)
1 comment:
Fun holiday! Hi Jennie, I've been following your blog. (I've told friends and family about the monkeys!) It is so interesting to hear about your experiences! I truly admire you for what you are doing, the wildlife work, the brave journey to another country and culture far outside the tourist realm........it must be a wonderful experience! I'm going for a walk with your mom this morning in santa rosa and then we have lunch with the SCDS moms. I saw your parents and Sean a couple weeks ago. They look well. Good luck with your work, safe journey and enjoy, enjoy! Fondly, Marcia
Post a Comment