Friday, February 29

Quick Summary

Overall, I am doing very well here. I've begun writing (literature review and methodology) my research paper on pheasant abundance and remote village ecodevelopment and will leave to conduct fieldwork at the Great Himalayan National Park on March 23. I feel very isolated from the Indian culture here at the Wildlife Institute (most people speak English and dress in jeans), but I know I will be launched full force into poverty when I reach the park.

I've started making friends, which is always key factor for my enjoyment of an area. I must admit, though, that my trip to India, more than anything else, is making me appreciate home. I am realizing all that I took for granted - the small comforts of a common language, common dress, and a solid understanding of acceptable customs. It all sounds very cliche, I know, but these are the wonders that travel brings to those that journey away from home. I am happy here, but there is a deep-rooted longing to return home. That time will come, and for now I am satisfied to just BE and observe the culture.

Like the Hindi Bollywood music that blares outside my room at 6am. And the incessant honking that jarrs my ears whenever we drive, swerving to avoid cows and pedestrians and motorcyclists. And the tea - oh the tea! Three times a day tea!

No comments:

Previous Posts